It is estimated that one in 39 boys are likely to be identified with Autism Spectrum Disorder, a staggering four times more so than girls (one in 151). With the increase in awareness and early intervention treatment options, the need for specially trained individuals is much more necessary today than ever.
Professionals just like you are answering the call by pursuing an ASD Endorsement Certification to accompany a Master of Science in Education – Special Education with concentrations specific to Autism Spectrum Disorders.
The Characteristics of ASD
Children identified as being on the spectrum may often experience a range of social, behavioral and communication strengths and challenges. Specifically, children may exhibit varying degrees of some of the following characteristics:
- Difficulty using verbal and nonverbal communication appropriately
- Difficulty tolerating changes in routine
- Engaging in atypical behaviors (hand flapping, visual staring at lights, rocking back and forth or side to side, placing objects in mouth)
- Overreaction to sensory experiences (sensitivities to sound, light, textures, smells, tastes)
- Repetitive or atypical communication skills
- Deficits in attention, motor, self-regulation or impulse control
- nbsp; Difficulty developing and maintaining appropriate social relationships
Although this is not an exhaustive list, if there is a predominance of the preceding characteristics, it is important to consult with a medical professional that is trained in developmental disabilities and the wide range of emotions and behaviors attributed to ASD.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all children be screened for ASD at ages 18 and 24 months, along with regular developmental monitoring.
Significant research supports the benefits of early intervention and treatment showing considerable improvement on long-term development and social behaviors. As a result, there is a growing demand for highly qualified ASD endorsement certified professionals that can meet the large demand for services and treatment.
Education and Training
If you are looking to specialize your education and training specifically to work with children and adults on the Autism spectrum then consider contacting Saint Joseph’s University for their online endorsement certificate which can be obtained by successfully completing four courses. The curriculum focuses on:
- Diagnosis and assessment
- Behavioral and socialization strategies
- Evidence-based practices in interventions and instructional methodologies
- Behavior management
Across the nation, ASD certified professionals are considered a critical shortage area often guaranteeing immediate employment, with additional perks of student loan forgiveness, tuition reimbursement, signing bonuses, additional supplemental pay, not to mention summer free schedules and comprehensive health and benefit packages.
To further advance your career and gain more information on obtaining an online Master of Science in Education – Special Education with an endorsement in Autism Spectrum Disorders, call (866) 758-7670 or visit online.sju.edu.
Interested in more articles like this? Click here.